**Disclaimer: This post uses affiliate links.**
It is cold and flu season and the flu is really bad this year (as it is every year). Because I am a healthcare worker I know colds just need to run their course. But when my girls both got a cold a couple weeks ago I had to do something. My youngest just looked and acted miserable. She had a low grade fever, red, puffy cheeks, watery eyes, and a snotty nose. So I did what any holistic mama would do….I gave her a detox bath.
Why should you give your kids a detox bath?
- To flush toxins out of their little bodies.
- To strengthen their immune system
- It also promotes relaxation (don’t you feel relaxed after a hot bath?!)
- And the magnesium can help sore muscles and pain (for their constant growing and changing bodies)
Since I am new to all of this, I had to do a little research first. I came up with a few safe and important ingredients. I had no idea how many different things you could put in bath water!
- epsom salt (1/2 cup for kids and 1 cup for adults)
- baking soda (for unfiltered water) (2 tbsp for kids and 4 tbsp for adults)
- ginger (I couldn’t find an actual amount so I did 1 tbsp in the kids bath and 2 tbsp in mine) (contains antibacterial properties that will address cold, flu, and congestion and also raises the skins temperature).
- Apple Cider Vinegar (About 1/2 cup) (Helps in the detoxification process)
- Fill bath halfway up with warm water.
- Pour in epsom salt and baking soda and stir with your hand.
- Put in ginger and stir in with your hand.
- Add apple cider vinegar and stir.
- Add cute kid and stir….wait that doesn’t sound right.
- Keep child in the warm water for at least 20 minutes. Distract by playing or reading.
She loved it! I gave her the detox bath right before nap time and she went right down. The next day she felt so much better. This is definitely going to be a necessary treatment from now on whenever one of my kids starts feeling yucky for sure. I am also going to try to give them one at least once a week too just to help remove toxins and help with overall health. Maybe even take on myself….you know…when I have time. Ha!
What have you used in your detox baths for your kids?